Thursday, August 25, 2011

Simplify

Word of the day: Simplify.

I don't know where I'm moving to or where "life will take me", but I am packing. All I know is my lease is ending next week and I might as well pack.

If my room (back at "home-home") blew up, I'd be fine. I don't have any items there that I use or really care so much about. But thinking about each item one by one, individually, I can't imagine myself tossing voluntarily.

I started college in September of 2007.

I packed my essentials and moved to San Diego to live in a double. Our space was limited to our loft beds (desk+bed+stairs that lead to our bed). It was a common saying as a freshman to resort to a facepalm and cry out loud, "It's at home!" LBD, floss, xbox, clean underwear, what-have-you.

But you pick up things. Whether these items be from old roommates, craigslist, swag, job fairs, school events, etc... you find yourself every year (or just about every year), packing your things to move to a new dorm room, new apartment---- and oh my gosh how do you have so much stuff?

Nordstrom sent out mass emails with the headline: "Less is More" regarding neutral hues for fall and simple details on high heels, purses and the like. Ironically, less is more that you have to go purchase more, to appear to be simple and low-maintenance.



Surely I fall victim to such marketing. I have so much junk all over the place. Things I purchased with the notion that the item will be of practical value to me. Things I snagged off booths at school events just because it was free and available. Things I received for being part of organizations. Things I kept because it might be of some use to me somedayyyyillbesomadwhenidonthaveitlateryyyyy.

My point is




I feel the need to vent because I am overwhelmed with the amount of packing and throwing away I need to do.

This blog post itself is clutter.


Originally this blog was for a class assignment. Everything below this post was for a digital rhetoric class I took for my last quarter. Holla CAT125.

But now it's going to be my personal blog. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment